Hone the fundamental skill of great leaders: how to develop your reports so they become high performers.
Please note: This workshop is intended for current people managers.
In this workshop, you will practice the fundamental tool of great leaders: how to engage, empower, and improve performance in direct reports through the use of skillful coaching. The result: team members become more self-sufficient, learn how to help themselves and others resolve problems faster, and make more valuable contributions to the team.
Pre-work: Come ready to discuss a work-related conundrum you currently have (anything from how to motivate your team to how to start meetings on time). A classmate will coach you through the issue.
During this workshop, you will:
- Learn what coaching is, how coaching hinges on the skill of asking good questions, and how asking the right questions will help solve common manager challenges
- Practice ‘defaulting’ into questions mode rather than a telling mode to clarify issues faster, become efficient, and empower direct reports
- Learn how to increase question quality, variety, and flexibility
- Practice foundational question tools: active listening, split-tracking (adding structure to a conversation), selecting open vs closed questions, and using the SOON Funnel
- Coach someone through a real-world work challenge and get feedback on your coaching skills
- Debrief as a group, apply learnings to everyday context, and commit to action items for the week ahead
After this workshop, you will know how to:
- Catch yourself taking management “shortcuts” that prevent your team from scaling
- Notice opportunities to develop your directs through asking high quality questions
- Have increased question agility so you know how to pivot to a different coaching tactic when someone feels stuck or frustrated
- Know how to create greater connection and clarity in a conversation
- Have the tools to help your directs identify their challenges, define success, explore obstacles and options, and create a plan of action